As Carnivale rises up in frivolity and mirth, and the winds off the Sea start to cool, the troubles of the Covenant seem to multiply, as if they breed with one another.
Luca had a confrontation while attempting to collect the Covenants Corpus Vis. The goons who attacked her in the Piazza San Marco were dispatched, with one being captured and brought back to the Covenant. The shattered man was fearful of a person he only knew as his master, afraid that he would be killed were he let go, for this mysterious seeker of Vis brokes no failures.
An interrogation was planned, and yet partially disrupted by the slowly dawning realisation that something truly is odd with the Cats of the covenant. Luca’s investigation into this proved that the Cats are magical, intelligent, and their leader, Obscuri, can talk. They agreed to permit the covenant to remain in ‘their’ Regio as co-owners, but also warned that the man they had drawn in stank of infernal magic.
Alessandro’s interrogation of the man revealed he had holes in his memory. Able to recall things he had done in this dark figures service: murders, thefts, intimidation. Unable to remember the figures face, name, or indeed where he went to meet the man. He could not even recall where it was he needed to go to bring the Vis if he had succeeded in moving it.
After these events, it was determined the man could not be left alive. Vito used his magic to disguise Luca as himself so that she could slip by her erstwhile protector Giuseppe Secondo. She went to buy poison from a disreputable man named Damiano de Canal. Poison purchased, the man dispatched, it seemed the mysteries of the covenant expanded, and yet dark sources hovered just out of sight.
Horror visited Covenant and Da Mosto family alike as, two days after these events, the Mistress of the Doge was discovered murdered by poison, and rumour swirled around the city that a Da Mosto was seen buying such poison. Hasty meetings and furtive accusations eventually led to tentative plans. There was some force working against the covenant and house; and the disappearance of Antonio Morosini, the horror of his boat, the attempt to disrupt the collection of Vis and now this frame-up seemed to point to a single source. The covenant was united in what might be it’s first real challenge; to uncover and defeat this shadowy adversary.
In response to demands by Paulo Da Mosto, an impromptu Counsel meeting is held, with all mages except Alessandro Vendramin in attendance. Allesandro arrives late as he had been out on a debauch. There were four primary issues to be determined:
(1) Should Luca be punished for her actions with respect to the poison – a vote on this is on hold until the determination of issue 2;
(2) Should Giuseppe Secondo (Giusecondo) be replaced as Luca’s shield grog as she has for some reason lost faith in him, preventing him from doing his job – a vote on this is on hold pending Luca’s answer;
(3) Should the covenant be involved in this since it is arguably only mundane politics – unanimous vote in favour;
(4) If the answer to (3) is yes,, what efforts should be taken. – a plan of action is decided upon and undertaken.
Odysseus proposes sending out Marionetta with others to suss out information. In return he promises Marionetta not to leave the Covenant or Da Mosto grounds without her.
Immediately after the vote, Vito Da Mosto went to inform Paulo of the decision. Odysseus, uncomfortable with his whole role as the voice of reason and maturity in this counsel meeting, proceeds to repair his reputation, visiting the Da Mosto household with the aim of meeting young women (or at least that’s what he tells everyone).
Luca casts a fog spell over Venice (losing control of it in a wierd way that may cause future problems for the covenant.
Odysseus and a group of Grogs, including Marionetta, visited Damiano’s private chambers, finding the body and the dagger with the Da Mosto markings.
Marionetta set off a trap, causing the fire trap to engage. The fire was somehow magical and resisted Odysseus’ water magic. Odysseus led the grogs out but in the process, one of the grogs dropped the body and it was badly burned.
Allesandro cast a spell to speak with the dead body and determined that:
- the dead body was not Damiano de Canali, but rather a mercenary also named Damiano
- the mercenary’s last recollection was visiting an un-named brothel
- he wouldn’t (or couldn’t) identify his last employers
- the last employer he would acknowledge was the Da Mosto’s – working as security at a feast/party; he was hired by Paulo
- he had worked with the previous mercenary (that Luca killed) about a year prior, acting as security for a brothel owned by one Angela di Bono